View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 12:54 AM   #10
burnin oil

Re: 4x4 conversion with manual steering

Slight update. Went to the bone yard today and picked up the sm420 and steering box from that GMC 370 today. We decided to pull the 57 home tomorrow and drop the trans out. The bell housing housing in the truck will dictate the road to follow since we have 30 irons in the fire. If the bell housing is a small hole we will go back with the 420 trans, but if its a big hole I have a 465/205 ready to go. The goal is speedy repair then do the 4x4 conversion as time dictates. I have the correct bell housing in a parts truck but that means pulling the drivetrain. Shifting transmissions requires reworking the dump bed PTO assembly. I do have a lead on a 8 lug 73+ front axle tomorrow to call back on and it should be a done deal. This truck is a runner so being down is an issue. I need to keep her productive while doing other projects. Other circumstances and I would just pull her off the road for 6 months. The 4x4 conversion will happen but its gonna be a johny cash "one piece at a time" I need the truck to work right now so good trans and updated brakes are number 1. From there it's complete other projects while updating the 57 on down days. I reached out to Orrie G for a little guidance on the steering conversion. If all works out the truck will be a 4x4 this year. I have wood and gravel to haul so repairs are day after it rains and to muddy to work. Slow switch over but as the parts are finalized they will be swapped over. Still need some dually drums for 3.5" shoes. Also have a rebuilt 400sb ready to be put on the stand to verify parts( been stored for 6-7 years and I have CRS). I am racing the year, weather, and shoulder surgery to get the drivetrain done. The 57 is about 2 or 3 years from coming off the road for body restoration. She is my dream truck but also a work truck. Finalize the drivetrain and build a shop before metal work since I am tired of working in the mud.

Sorry I deviated. I will check the steering box in the next few days and report back. My current box has 6" of play after adjustment.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote