View Single Post
Old 11-24-2021, 01:39 AM   #183
Richard

Re: Restomod 72 K10 "Good Memories"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57taskforce View Post
AWESOME work Richard! That thing is gonna be really bad ass when it’s done. That four link looks like it came out really nice. Are you going to do anything to brace up the track bar mount on the frame? I’ve noticed my frame twists a little bit with just the steering box, seems that could be a weak spot on yours if you don’t brace it to the other frame rail somehow. I’m gonna put the ORD steering box brace in mine, it’s already got the weld on ORD crack repair plate.
Thank you for the kind comment. Helps to keep me motivated to post progress. I used the ORD brace on this 72 and also my last one. Can be seen in the steering box pic a couple posts back. Need to clearance a bit for the Gilmer belt pulley on crank. Little to close for me. This truck as well as my last also has the factory steering box frame reinforcement inside frame. Had no problems with the frame on my last truck.
The back edge of the panhard (trac bar) mount is right on the engine crossmember so I was thinking it will be good. I used an extended/offset mount to make the trac bar longer, which is always better. Think it will relieve some stress on frame due to design. Can always add a bar to other side of frame or maybe a triangulated brace to the engine crossmember somewhat like the ORD steering brace. Going to upgrade the panhard ends and bungs to 7/8" thread from the 3/4" ORD provided. Also going switch one end from a heim to a Johnny joint. Heims have their place, but on a DD or mostly street truck IMO not a plus.
The third pitman arm is on the way. High hopes this one is the ticket.

Installed the factory A/C box on fire wall. Going to make coilover mounting hoop a real challenge on that side. Really do not want to use a cramped, hard to service aftermarket cycling clutch system with electronic controls. The challenge is making me reconsider my choice to use the factory A/C box.
Attached Images

Last edited by Richard; 11-24-2021 at 02:01 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote