View Single Post
Old 08-11-2023, 08:58 AM   #21
SCOTI

Re: Went for an alignment- positive camber& no shims

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCash View Post
Similar situation here, I've been scratching my head thinking of a good solution but haven't quite come up with a good one yet. Those smaller concave washers would help but probably wouldn't completely solve the problem.

I'm thinking the disc brake spindle is taller than the drum one which is causing the excessive positive camber. It's either that or the disc brake crossmember itself has the lower control arms mounted slightly further out. Those are the only two options I can see causing the geometry issue for our swaps. Unfortunately I scrapped the disc brake crossmember I got when I made the swap, mostly because I didn't want to go through the hassle of using it and assumed they were the same.

Anyways, update this thread if you figure out a good solution/answer to the riddle!
I have never seen ANY differences (dimensionally) discussed regarding a-arm locations for the x-members. Drum vs disc x-members had different brake line mounting tabs/locations but bolt-in & locate the arms in the same place.

As far as any info I've ever come across, there is also no dimensional difference on the height of the disc brake spindle vs the drum spindle. I did my first aftermarket spindle swap back around 1988 under a 67/67 pick-up & have done more than a few since.

My bet is if there's a dimensional difference, it's @ the upper a-arm cross-shaft & the requisite spacers specific to that style of shaft. Things changed along the years so I can see the possibility of variance there.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote