View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
buildinga55

Electric Wiper Conversion on the cheap

Here are the details of my recent conversion from Vacuum to Electric wipers on the Cheap! The idea was to convert from vacuum to electric wipers on my 48 Chevy without breaking the bank. Here are several pictures that show the process. I did it all for $20.50.

Here is a picture of a rear wiper motor from a 93 S10 blazer and switch, paid $20.00

Here is the brace that goes from the dash to the firewall, mine had 2 holes drilled in it already that would end up working well to mount my bracket.

This is a picture of the bracket I made out of some scrap and how I mounted it on the motor. I put rubber washers behind the bracket on the bolts to keep the noise down

Then I cut a piece of 1/2 wide steel and drilled some holes in it to run bolts through that would adapt to the wiper mechanism. I would suggest slotting the holes or drilling several as you will need to adjust and tweek when mounted to get the correct wiper sweep on your windshield. I got a nylon bushing at the hardware store for .50cents and cut it in half to make a bushing that fit nicely in the wiper arm so that it would all pretty well copy the original design

Then cut the end of the windsheild wiper off so that I had the knurled end to fit on the Blazer wiper motor. I beveled the piece with a file and drilled a hole it it to hold the actuator. The bevel helped recess the 1/2" steel so it could not move once bolted on

Then put the assembled wiper motor with bracket on the brace under the dash, marked the holes where to drill in the bracket. I used the existing holes in brace on the dash so I did not even have to drill into the truck at all.
I would suggest you slot the mounting holes in the bracket as well. Makes adjusting everything easier once you get the linkage all hooked up

I put rubber washers under the bracket as well to keep any noise down. And here is pretty much the finished product. Mounted and very quite.

Hope this helps any of you interested.
buildinga55 is offline   Reply With Quote