View Single Post
Old 05-18-2022, 03:49 PM   #15
SkidmoreGarage

Re: Restoration insanity

I'd only add that everyone should do a real budget spreadsheet (including the price of the truck) before you start your project. Then double that number and put the money aside. If this number doesn't scare you or exceed the value of the completed project, then you are ready to start. If you find yourself thinking you can dumpster dive your way into doing it for less, you are statistically likely never to finish. It all adds up. If you have access to a dozen parts trucks rotting into the ground, you already paid upfront. If you don't, you will be nickel and dimed to death. If you aren't typically strong in personal finance, take a second to learn a bit and it will pay you back for the rest of your life.

Also, don't strip it all back to bare metal unless you've done it before. See my point above and call a few paint shops to get some quotes. Every time I see a "$30k+ invested, needs paint and assembly" truck for sale for $20k, I know it will never sell. It's probably worth less than half that. If it was original and worn out with a new engine, it would probably sell for $15k.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote