View Single Post
Old 02-09-2024, 08:24 PM   #429
dsraven

Re: 55 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

yeah, man, I could tell you stories about the junior parts guys at the parts stores. they ask you what you need so you tell them. then they ask you the year of the vehicle, even though you just told them. then the make. ditto. then the model. ditto. is it a 4x4. well, I never realized they made a vw beetle in a 4x4 I say. so after explaining in detail what part I need they may or may not have it. some will get upset but not say anything as they walk past you and pick it off the showroom floor, like a filter or something. then, if you need another part for the same thing it starts all over, year, make model etc. one kid I had ask me about 4 times because he had such a bad memory. I got frustrated and said "is that why they put your name on the shirt, so you know who you are? maybe try a pen and paper and write this stuff down so you don't look so dopey for the customers". this is when the other, older, parts man laughed and showed the kid his pad of paper and pencil. he said, "see this kid? it's why people line up at my counter and not yours. because I take notes as they talk and dont ask them repeatedly what their car is".
it was kinda funny but it made the kid look really stupid.
an older GM parts guy I know, a buddy for years, said where he worked before he retired the parts guys all worked on a commission basis. he would have more commissions by noon on monday that the junior guys had by friday afternoon. he asked me once when I call in what are the other parts guys like to deal with. I told him the same story as above and said, same. now if I call and can't get him I simply email him the vehicle vin and what I need. he emails me back a quote with parts and availability. done. he trained the others to do the same, on a timely basis for commercial accounts especially. that freed up the phones for actual calls for customers and made a new position for the email clients to deal with.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote