View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #2
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Re: 19.5 wheels on older 1.5 ton trucks

I bought some nice 19.5 wheels and tires that were taken off a motorhome. These wheels are also common on bread trucks and older 3500 HD (only the HD’s had these)
The bolt patterns match, BUT there are other issues.
First off, it didn’t seem to me that the rear wheels were gonna fit over the backing plates. I was never able to get them on. Even if I did get them bolted down, they would be way too close. You wouldn’t think that going from a 20” to a 19.5” wouldn’t work. There’s only an addition ¼” difference in the clearances. I ended up using my plasma cutter to cut the outer lip off the backing plates. Success.
But, the next biggest problem: hub pilot wheels. Both the newer and older wheels were hub pilot.
*Disclaimer* these measurements are eyeballed and may not be exact.
Center holes:
Old: 4.75”
New: 5.25”
So, here’s the problem. You could fix the front wheels by beveling the stud holes and using lug pilot lug nuts, but what about the rears? That won’t work.
Also, the lug size differences. Lug hole bores:
Old: 19/32”
New: 21/32”
My truck was just too far gone in every respect for it to ever actually be on the road. I’m using my truck as “yard-art” It will be parked at the end of my driveway, and I’m planning on decorating it for Christmas, Halloween, etc. So, I’m happy with it like it is.
But, for someone who actually wants to put their truck on the road. What’s the solution?
My only thought, possibly using electric motor armature bushings to shim the lugs, making the wheels lug-pilot instead of hub-pilot?
Any ideas out there?

As a side note, this truck was 5-lug fronts, but I like the look of 10-lug better, so I welded 5 spare lug nuts onto each rim stiffener ring and added the stainless acorns.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi

Last edited by 63 & 64 Bowties; 02-18-2017 at 10:03 PM.
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote