View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 03:57 PM   #963
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

The last time I used the term Bucket List, this was what I bought 6.5 years ago.

https://forum.retro-rides.org/thread...hort-fleetside

Subsequently I chose not to have bucket lists, in fact not even lists.

But there has always been a LUST LIST.

Prozac the Berlingo was such a revelation on so many levels, and to be honest, it again underscored how much fun smaller capacity cars have.
Add into that the amazing functionality it proceeded to unfold in my ownership.
Sold to Mickey next door for his son to use for school run and DIY work, it continues unabated to impress and work daily.

Replaced it with the 2001 Galaxy 2.3 Auto.
Valeted it
Removed the seats
Added a rubber mat
Used it.
Replaced the battery.
Failed MOT for welding and a couple of lightbulbs.
Sorted and passed test 2.0
Towed a trailer twice for stuff
Again...... super reliable car, huge capacity.
But sooooo BLAND, it just goes on and on, doing its job.
I ended up not even lowering it.

I have always loved trucks, commercial vehicles and functional equipment

So my eye continued to always be open for certain Cars.

I had a specific, rigid wish list for these.

Chevrolet S10 pickup.

A Mk 2 truck, despite series one popularity
Colour: Sandalwood metallic
Extra-cab
4.3 liter V6
2WD not 4x4
Decent condition
Tow bar

Colour options

I was looking around Europe for years on various German, Dutch, Italian and Spanish websites, plus had a few guys help me. Notably @Mk3rob in Germany.

Not one came up that was aligned with my want list though.

Then two weeks ago.

BINGO !!!

Saw an ad for a 2000 Chevrolet Trax for sale.

Contacted the advertiser who was selling for a friend....... usually these peee me off before I even contact them as they are often just infuriating deals to see through.

Andy took his time getting back to me, but of course he has a day job.

Then a garbled text message, typed with a pair of safety gloves.

At this point I was ready to walk away, but I persevered as the truck specs and what was described, suited me and ticked the list.

Eventually managed to get an appointment set up for 11.00 and contacted @pauly to see if he would come do the fine tooth comb checks for me. He knows stuff.
But he could not do 11.00, so I contacted the advertiser to see if we could view at 09.00 , within minutes he got back to me and agreed to 09.00
Got an address and description of how to get on the turkey farm, sudden, hidden turning off the motorway.
So Thursday morning 06.00 I was up, left home by 07.00 all excited, and drove over to our meeting point in 4’C weather.

In the mean time I went into the history online.

Confirming the advertised mileage and what appears to have been reasonable maintenance or lack of use.

So the motor

K&N air cleaner, divides opinions

As mentioned, an extra cab was a prerequisite

I have seen a few of these trucks for sale and the interior was really tidy and intact.

Space for beer.

Fleetside badging, rear step bumper may hide a tow ball fitting space.

Cragar wheels fitted, they will be gone ASAP.

Truck comes with a set of lowering springs as well.

Stripes are also opinion dividers. I am not yet certain.maybe remove and replace with ghosted type stripes

Front end is nice, orange indicators will be going and getting replaced with clear units.

So after PaulY and I spent time on our knees and crawling around in the wet, thanks Paul, it was time for a run down the motorway, grab some fuel and return via the local village, which gave me a feel for it in all conditions.

Even the load bed, which comes with a cover, has actually never been used.
The Raptor liner was applied in Missouri, and is still unmarked, no dents, scratches etc.

So I bought it.

I decided not to pay the government for a months road tax for five days of use, which would be about 100 miles.
So collection agreed for 01012021
Nice way to start the new year.

Happy yes.

Grizz1963 is online now   Reply With Quote