View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #49
SeventyOne

Re: The "In over my head" build thread

Update 9.22.10

Can't believe it's been 5 months since my last update. Not too much to show but here's the progress since my last update.

Got a lot of the excess metal cut off the frame that a PO had welded in for a hitch (pic of the massive pile of scrap metal to come). Still a little more to come out but I ran out of saw blades and cut-off discs.

Trying to keep making progress I turned to the axles - got all the brackets cut off of the 14bolt (shock tabs and spring pads), got the disc brake setup mocked in place, and bolted on the wheels and tires - I think it looks sick! Even better everything clear and fits!
Name:  IMG_4897.JPG
Views: 2208
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  IMG_4899.JPG
Views: 2222
Size:  82.3 KB

With my spirits high I started tearing into the Dana 44. It's nasty and greasy and my first time disassembling an axle - tons of fun!
Got it all blown apart and looking at what I needed next. Starting amassing parts (8 lug rotors, big bearing spindles, bearings, 3/4 ton brake backing plates, spindle studs and nuts, ball joints, new hubs) and then set out to clean this greasy pig. Done and ready for paint!
Name:  IMG_4900.JPG
Views: 2225
Size:  82.5 KB

Got the knuckles and caliper brackets done too.
Name:  IMG_4901.JPG
Views: 2180
Size:  80.4 KB

Now I turn to the frame - still need to cut out some left over metal, cut off the old shackle hangers so the ORD shackle flip can go on, then clean and paint the frame. Then bolt all my junk together! Im getting pumped at the thought of having a rolling chassis again!

I also picked up some other parts along the way - DIY4X 1st gen engine crossmember, cross tied shackles, 14bolt spring pads, and Alcan lift springs. Have an order placed for all the other misc. parts to get to a roller again (bushings, bolts, etc).

I guess when you summarize what you've been doing the last 5 months it seems like more progress...
SeventyOne is offline   Reply With Quote