View Single Post
Old 05-29-2014, 04:55 PM   #92
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: My Luxurious late model truck (not so much)

Now on to the main shaft. This stuff is like rocket surgery to me so I like to lay things out in order that they go. The reason to disassemble this is to replace the bearings down inside that gear in the bottom of the picture. It's just a basic press out and press in procedure.

My phone battery got low so there's a gap in pictures right here.

The shafts, shift forks, and chain installed back into the case.

My transfer case shifter was sloppy so I had my buddy at the dealership order me new bushings. Three bucks each. Worth it to me to not have a rattly shifter down by my feet.

This is the detent assembly that screws into the bottom of the case. It pushes up against the shift pawl to give positive clicks when moving the shift lever. Notice new o ring, which was included in the kit.

You guys know how I can't take leaks, seeps, or drips, so I bought a tube of the GM sealant that the guys in the dealership use when they rebuild them. I'm pretty damn sure it's just re-labeled Loctite brand anaerobic sealer.

Getting ready to marry the case back together. Notice the oil pump is in place along with the oil pump pickup tube. I swapped new o ring into the pickup tube and new seal into the pump. All included in the rebuild kit. Sealant applied.

Case halves married together. Torqued according to manual specs. Notice I've also installed the speedometer VSS star wheel thingy onto the shaft in this picture too.

More sealant and getting ready to bolt on the rear bearing housing.

I'm not proud of this picture. Too much coffee I guess. This is a little rubber seal that goes onto the splined shaft where the front driveshaft bolts on. The seal keeps that front yoke from leaking. Also included in the kit.

Installed onto the shaft.

Done deal.

Always right on the bench next to where I'm working.

Notice the gasket glued into place that goes between the transfer case and transmission adapter. Most guys use silicone here, but the kit came with a gasket so I'll use it. It's not very critical anyway as the cavity is dry since both the transfer case and the transmission have seals to keep their respective fluids inside them.

The job is finished other than bolting on the rearmost extension housing. I'm having trouble finding the proper bushing that the rear driveshaft slip yoke rides in. Still working on sourcing one of those.