View Single Post
Old 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM   #6
purple gas

Re: Rustoleum paint jobs

Fairly long term results:
My truck was a painters work truck and was through at least 1 hailstorm.
I filled most of the dings & dents and got tired of it looking like a work in progress.
I shot it with Tremclad ( Canadian Rustolium) I bought the gallon can.
I used a crappy little touch up gun. Had to cut it 50 / 50 with mineral spirits to get it to spray and used about 1/2 a gallon of paint for the whole truck. So, there wasn't much paint on it.
When I first did it it looked pretty good actually. It was parked indoors when not on the road for several years and seemed like it was lasting.
Then, I got divorced 9 yrs ago.
Since then it's been sitting in the sun. Every year more of the red has disappeared. You can really tell places that got more or less paint.
The picture of the left rear is where after a couple beers I grabbed a small foam roller and painted the bed side and tail gate. Straight Tremclad, no cut. That was 8 yrs ago.
It's held up way better than the thinned out spray job. Probably because there's actually more than a micron thickness of paint there. It was a pretty thin single coat, and it has lost most of its shine though.
I painted the interior with rattle can Tremclad.
It looks really good and hasn't faded at all. Interior get less direct sunlight, but I think it's a lot better quality paint than the bulk stuff.
This year I'm going to finish the last of the hail damage and do another paint job.
Exactly what that means remains to be seen.
Attached Images