View Single Post
Old 01-30-2023, 08:02 PM   #11
68 C10 Driver

Re: Original External Voltage Regulators

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
>>virtual voltage regulator,<<

Is that mental telepathy? I am the alternator!

I'm not sure how original you think you need. GM sold Delco Remy off about 30 years ago, so unless you find an over priced NOS regulator.

Tuff Stuff web page says "Built In American". Thanks to NAFT, America can mean Mexico, U.S.A. or Canada. "Built In" and "Assembled In " is another grey area.

The Alt on the left is a Solid State that weighs 1/3 the original style electro-mechanical regulator with the wire wound resistors on the bottom.

The solid state are reliable and work well . Whether they are assembled here or in Mexico, the Semi-Conductor internals surely came from China.

All of us, consumers and manufacturers have sold out "Made in America" over the last 50 years and there may just be no way back.

I just want to keep as many old parts as I can whether it is by rebuilding/restoring the original parts, finding NOS replacements that are reasonable, or remanufactured parts. I will use Chinese parts, but only as a last resort. I am always searching for NOS parts or parts that are repairable like I did on the steering wheel and underdash A/C unit.

Yes, the electronic voltage regulator just seemed cheap, but it sounds like they work well. I will try it out for myself, but for car shows I will switch to an old original mechanical
voltage regulator. I believe the one that was on the truck is the original one, at least it hasn't been changed out since 1986...at least that is when my father-in-law got it.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote