View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 06:59 PM   #4
Second Series

Re: 1990 Chevy K1500

It’s been awhile since I updated this. I replaced the lock cylinders. I don’t remember if I replaced the starter, but probably. I was trying to find a good cheap rack to haul lumber. I could not find one narrow enough for the stepside bed. I did locate a shortbed rack for $150, the price was right so I bought it. We set 2x4’s across my bed and set the rack on that to get it home. I cut the rack rails to fit my bed, and welded with Oxy-Acetylene. I located some kind of nut sert to bolt it to the bed rail. It works well. I have been using this truck for weekend projects since I picked it up a year ago. I decided to drive it to work last week and it started shifting hard on the way home. Grinding when going into reverse, and hard to shift forward gears. Last weekend I checked out the clutch hydraulics. I found no sign of leaks. Dirty fluid, I changed the fluid, and attempted to bleed the clutch system by placing a cinderblock on the pedal and cycling the bleeder valve, I did this several times. That didn’t fix it. I was able to press the clutch, start the truck and release the clutch to move. I drove it to the shop in 1st gear, it would not shift with the engine running. The stick didn’t feel sloppy, so I think that connection is o.k. I had read about a pin breaking where the stick attaches on top. I also read about the pilot bushing binding causing the input shaft to spin. The one post I read about the pilot bushing turned out that replacing it did not fix the issue. This is a 1990, so the transmission is probably a 5LM60. The guy I got it from said he replaced all the fluids, I wonder if something other than GM synchromesh fluid was put in the transmission? It’s been at the shop for a week, still waiting to hear back. They tried bleeding the system with no change.
Attached Images

1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV
1990 Chevy K1500
Second Series is offline   Reply With Quote