View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 10:41 PM   #296
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Quote:
Originally Posted by geunther View Post
I frequently use your build thread as a reference. I thought it interesting on the discussion about the brake pedal bump stop. My truck is/was fairly original with all the original bits. However, I did not have the bump stop for the pedal. I've since ordered one.

I just went and double checked. I do not see any indication that there ever was one. No witness marks on the pedal arm, or on the square hole.

I only bring this up because I know of all members, you would have documented the thing.
Yeah kind of OCD, thanks for your contribution Interesting thought above they perhaps weren't installed with power brakes. My 72 Super doesn't have one, no indication it did. Next time it's started I'll have to check if the pedal approaches the plate.

Subject of brakes I wanted to permanently install the push rod to the brake pedal tonight. It had a stover nut and cotter pin, same with my 72. But the nut stripped the bolt threads so I cleaned them up, they were bad, some suspicions that's common? I think I'll run with a hex & split washer to save the bolt from another stover nut though. Can always mark it I suppose, check for slippage. Some opinions split washers are useless. The manual shows both options, though I've yet to see a page where they ID a stover nut, they only read & appear as "nuts".

Manual appears to show lube that rod to the brake pedal too, at first I thought it meant bolt's shaft. Must see a lot of friction, think I'll grease both
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote