View Single Post
Old 08-13-2022, 03:45 PM   #1
MikeB

A header question with a twist

My truck is a 1969 C10 with 350 mounted in the forward location from the factory. I know this because am the second owner and the truck was bone stock with a 307 when I bought.

Seems like just about any header will work with the engine mounted in the rear location, but I'm not sure about frame rail clearance when the engine is mounted 2.5" forward.

Background: Many years ago, I bought some Hedmans that required frame rail clearance. Hedman even sent me another pair at no charge, but they had the same problem. I suspect their test truck had the mounts in the rear location, and they had no idea that 1969-72 2wd trucks (or at least some of them) had the engine mounted forward.

It's been many years, but I do remember speaking with a Hedman guy who said they were making a model that would work with both engine locations. So, they understood the issue.

Anyway, I am now looking at Doug's D-371Y Tri-Y headers to replace 2" rams horns. Has anyone used these in a truck with the engine mounted forward? If not, can anyone recommend a header that will work for me?
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote