View Single Post
Old 03-08-2009, 03:42 AM   #79
Bruce88

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Just finished my tax return, wish they would make it easier and simpler like a flat tax. Would definitely prefer working on the truck, o-well I’m getting a refund that will be used for more parts.

The cleanup and welding continue on the bed and think that there are enough pictures of this, will leave the rest of the cleanup and welding on the bed to your own imagination.

I’m converting the 72 short box step side truck to have the side mounted spare tire. And wanting new wheels for the truck anyway, bought 5 new ones (can’t forget the spare visible to everyone). This gives me the chance to make sure the new wheel will fit the spare tire mount and clear the side of the bed also made sure they would clear the stock disk brakes.

New parts
Qty 5 ARE-625873 American Racing, Outlaw II Wheels 15 in. x 8 in., 5 x 5 in. bolt circle, 3.75 in. backspace, -19.00mm offset
Qty 1 MCG-24538 McGard wheel locks (set of 5 per package)
Qty 5 MCG-64010 McGard lug nuts (set of 4 per package)
Qty 3 SUM-G1955 Summit chrome valve stems 7/16 in. hole size (set of 2 per package)

The spare tire mount will need to be modified, it was on a truck that had a 6 lug x 5.5 in. Dia. bolt pattern and it will be modified to a 5 lug x 5 in. Dia. Bolt pattern, all the clearances are good and need no modification. I created a template of the bolt patterns to see where the bolts will have to be located, that is the template on the mount in the picture.

When looking thru all the different wheels that I was considering for the truck and going to stay with the same truck stance and tire size (2-1/2 in. lower front end, 4 in. lower rear end, and P255/60R15 tires) I generated a picture in Photoshop to see what the new wheels would look like on the truck with the spare tire mount. (see picture below)

Name:  Wheels.jpg
Views: 13122
Size:  90.2 KB

I generated a full size bolt pattern for the three bolt patterns used on 67 – 72 Chevy 2WD & 4WD trucks. The different years and pattern/lug nut sizes on the picture are from LMC catalog. Anyone wanting it can right click on the picture and save it to your computer, it might come in handy when out looking thru used wheels to check for fit. The only problem you might have with this picture is to make sure that your printer is set to print actual size not to shrink or expand to fit. To check that it printed correctly just measure the bolt diameters if they do not measure correctly you will need to set your printer to print actual size.

Name:  Lug-Nut-Pattern.gif
Views: 15563
Size:  29.5 KB

Was watching a Harry Potter movie as I generated this post, it sure would be nice to cast a spell and have the truck finished. Not being a wizard I’ll just have to do it the normal way, so I will head out tomorrow and continue working on it.