View Single Post
Old 03-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #89
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce88 View Post
Just noticed that the cross member on the frame just aft of the rear end is not at 90 deg to the frame. My frame is strait and from what I’ve seen of the frame drawings the factory installed it this way. Not that it will affect any thing just doesn’t make any sense to me as why they did it that way. Another question that probably will never be answered as to why, it’s just the way it is.
I think I can answer that. If all of the frame cross members were the same length and perpendicular to the frame rails, the rails would be able to move forwards and backwards. Having an unequal length crossmember will stabilize the frame like putting a X pipe in a roll bar. The triangulation adds rigidity.

This is an interesting thread. You are doing some things the opposite of what is typical, such as putting the spare on the bed side rather than moving it from there, and adding a CB, when most are removing the antenna and welding up the holes. Making it the way you want. I like that. There is always good information on this thread, no matter what experience level the reader is coming from.

I used to live on Camano Island and worked in your area. I don't miss the clouds, but do miss the scenery sometimes.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote