View Single Post
Old 09-10-2021, 08:41 PM   #1
daveshilling

Mounting the cheaper truck DBW pedal in a 55-59 cab

I saw mounts for sale online that use the corvette pedal, and I seriously considered buying. Then I saw it was $150. Then I realized the pedal wasnt compatible with my '03 5.3... then I realized the pedal and TAC that came with the truck are MOST likely to work the first time.

So I figured out my own mounting plate.
  • I took some sheet stock that is the same thickness as the dash brace and cut out a flat bracket to fit to the right of the brace.
  • I cut off the lower right corner and recycled that piece as a mounting tab.
  • I used a lower existing hole in the cab, and drilled a hole in my bracket,
  • Bolting that up with 3 washers behind it to take up the space, I was able to then bolt down the upper mounting tab as well, and trace its location onto the bracket. Then welded it up.
  • I left a bunch of space above the pedal in case I wanted to throw another bolt up there, scoot the pedal up and out of sight later, etc. Rather have it then not!
  • I used 1/4" bolts to mount the pedal to the bracket. the heads of these bolts are slim enough to reside in the space behind the bracket without touching the firewall.
  • I trimmed the unnecessary metal from the pedal, and drilled a new lower mounting hole.
  • Mounted up the pedal, and found that there is some flex when pressing very firmly, but when using the pedal like a normal human person it was plenty stiff...a third mounting hole and new hole drilled in the firewall could alleviate this, but I don't care enough to take that step for no real actual benefit.
Attached Images

daveshilling is offline   Reply With Quote