View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 09:29 AM   #31
special-K
Special Order

Re: Restoration insanity

I never expected a hobby to pay for itself. Never a spread sheet here. My involvement with these trucks has been about finding and keeping rust free trucks, and now repairing it. But my '72 K2500 has had rusted outer rockers for over 10 years. I have yet to restore it and that rust has had no affect on my enjoyment of the truck.

On my '67 (forever) built from scratch project I am mostly stalled over doing proper body/paint work. I pretty much have everything I need to complete it once that is done. This project exists because of all the parts I had accumulated, enough to build a truck. The cab I originally bought for another truck in the '90s, that I sold in '04. I still have another cab to build another truck one day. On my drivable trucks I attack mechanicals first, them make it pretty. I guess what we now call patina trucks has been my thing for years. Chrome won't get you home. I enjoy my aged looking trucks just fine. When it comes to what really counts, they always run tip-top. I just want to have a 2wd shortbed hot rod to drive. I am getting older and looking to enjoy what I own, so considering putting it together as a forever project. I like red oxide primer and hot Rod Flatz has that color. It's not expensive, looks like primer, but is actual paint. I drove a red oxide primered car throughout HS. Once I worked a couple years after HS I painted it. I can always paint the truck later. I know it's not the easiest or best way. What I am thinking is have a small amount of my desired end color mixed and cut in all my parts before assembly and finish paint the interior. All my sheet metal is OEM rust free. I'll just paint those parts with their dings red oxide. I can always fix those spots here and there and hit with the paint. The vibe will be a rolling project, just like back in the day before we were doing frame-offs on these trucks, when we were happy with that and enjoyed them just fine

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote