View Single Post
Old 04-24-2022, 01:21 AM   #1
dagnabbitt

1964 292 Valve Cover

I have a 292 cast in 1964 that is in my 1968 C20. Its a bit of a mystery how and why it is there, anyone curious can check out the latest posts in my build thread in my signature, I'd love to hear your opinion.

Anyway, I have always been confused by the nature or need for PVC valves and breathers and the like - for the simple reason that I do not understand why some engines have them and some do not. Why not all or none?

This has come up because I bought what I thought was a really cool valve cover for my 292 that has the "Chevrolet" script on it. Belatedly, I noticed that it has a hole in the driver's side for what appears to be a PCV valve or tube going to the carb. The original valve cover that is still on the engine does not have this provision. Can I add the PCV valve to this engine so I can use this valve cover? Would it benefit the engine, or should I trust the engineers at GM in 1964 that the engine does not need it?

If I use this valve cover without the PCV/tube, is there a recommended way to plug that hole?

First pic is of my engine right now, second is what I am referring to.
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote