View Single Post
Old 06-02-2022, 11:39 PM   #2
cj847

Re: Dumb question but I did a search LOL

I'm sure there is better info in the LS swap page of this forum, but I will start.

You can order a LS Swap radiator from dozens or hundreds of vendors. Just research to make sure it will work for your particular situation. I bought a cheap LS swap radiator, and it cools OK. But, I wrote the company and asked them WHY would ANYONE market an LS swap radiator with an 1 1/2 inlet? I bought it anyway and stretched my old upper hose over it. If it didn't work I would have bought an adapter sleeve. The main thing you need is location and size of inlet and outlet, make sure it has a steam port, and in your case I think the L83's all used electric fans. Don't skimp on fans. It is sometimes difficult to get the info you need. What matters is the volume of air it flows. Dual 12" china fans will not cool like 2 derale 12" fans.

On the cluster. I will recommend that you buy one of the new $1200-$1500 clusters that look original but get data from the computer. I have an LS swap in my shop truck with an original cluster. It is easy enough to adapt the oil pressure and temp gauges. However, a factory 72 gauge is reading red line hot at 200-205 degrees. An LS the thermostat is just opening at 195-200. I have not found anyone making a GPS speedometer for or adaptable to the 67-72. I was even going to order a cheap gps speedo off amazon and adapt my needle and speedo face to it. unfortunately, I have only found 1 270 degree sweep 100 mph gps speedo. It is for a humvee and is sold by Speedhut for about $400. So, new gps speedo + new temp gage + might as well get the matching voltmeter and oil pressure gauge.....you can see my logic. Not worth the effort.

The problem with LS swaps isn't the big stuff. Dropping the engine in, hooking up some headers, etc, is easy. It's the little stuff:

-power steering hoses or adapters
-fuel system again not the big stuff like the tank or the pump, but fuel lines, filters, connections etc
-upper and lower radiator hoses......hope the stock L83 hoses will work with your radiator, if they don't you are in for a frustrating search.
-air conditioning. I found out that a modern chevy compressor will not work with OLD AIR systems AC (not sure about vintage air or others). Something to do with it being variable output or something. What this lead to for me was a new bracket, which resulted in a different serpentine belt and routing, which lead to a new location for my cold air intake, etc, etc

It's been done thousands of times and it is worth the effort just go in with your eyes open and think about how each new part interacts with your old junk.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote