View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 02:11 AM   #7
wilkin250r

Re: Cab construction question (elec. ground)

If it was me, I'd jump in with both feet.

Let's say worst case scenario you get a lousy connection with a 1V drop across it (which is a HUGE voltage drop across a connection), and by some miracle you're still pulling 50 amps through that spot. That results in 50 watts of power loss, 50 watts of heat.

50W in a transistor will have that sucker smoking within seconds, 50W of power loss in a transformer will melt the insulation of the wires. But 50W of power in a solid metal chassis with a surface area of a hundred square feet? Drop in the bucket. It'll create a warm spot, and nothing more. And that's worst case scenario.

So you build it, you test it. If the worst-case scenario comes true, you upgrade your ground path, maybe add a braided ground strap, and the problem disappears.

As long as you're grounding to the metal of the cab, I wouldn't hesitate even a little bit, because even if the rest of the ground path to frame and battery and engine block are all terrible, they're easy to fix.