View Single Post
Old 11-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #124
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Automotive myths

Yeah Tim, a lot of that happened back then and once they were stuffed in there, the truck became useless as an off-roader. They barely fit, so the suspension travel was virtually zero because of interference.
The 4 speed was at least some help in accelerating from a stand-still. Automatics got well and truly abused by that.
Those times did bring us the the birth of the "Mall Crawler"

I did break an axle or 2 back then, but I was abusing a Dana 44. The 74 C-20 with a 454, 4 speed, metallic puck clutch, Tru-Trac front, Detroit Locker rear, 4.56 gears and 40" Regul Trailblazers were a bit much for the short-side front axle under the foot of a mid 20s kid who worked in a shop who could fix it.
I did break it two different ways though, once the joint failed, the other was the outer shaft itself. I guess those are places not ways....the way was simple, right foot and traction.

The GM automatic hubs of the 80 weren't any better. I replaced countless pairs of them over the years back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote