View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #51
hotrod_991

Re: 77 longbed "overbudget" build

Got the old th350 out and man was that a PITA by myself. after fighting my way through getting the carrier bearing off to remove the drive shaft I started pulling bell housing bolts and was all excited that I was ready to take it out. Well it really helps if you remove the tourqe converter bolts first lol. Of course i do not yet own a fly wheel wrench so it was two teeth at a time with a flat screwdriver. Got all the bolts out finally after alot of colorful words and two new cuts in my hand. and I still was not able to get the tranny to slide back off the posts on the motor so out of pure frustration I haul off and kicked the hell out of it one good time and presto she slid back from the motor...off the jack and straight into the floor nose first!. Not the best idea I have ever had but hey its off right well not I have forgoten to unhook the tranny lines of course and had to spend another 10 minutes just trying to get to hose claps turned the right way so i was able to reach them.

Almost forgot to say that it never registered in my mind that the back of the motor is supported by the trans so when i booted the tailshaft and it came crashing down my motor took a header flywheel first. then i scrambled to get the one jack i own from trans to the back of the motor to support it. thankfully i had already stripped the motor getting it ready to be pulled so nothing was hit or damaged. Got everything leveled and happy again.

Now im sitting here tryn to figure out how I am going to get the truck pushed back into the grage far enough to close the door with a scissor jack under the oil pan and I dont have the cherry picker yet so basically i got into the zone here and worked myself right into a situation. SO I valled my mechanic (dad) to find out another option of supporting the motor. He had a few good idea but as we were talking i leaned against the front of the truck unknowingly and whamm!!! there goes the scissor jack and the motor again. no damage again so called it a solution and shoved the truck int he garage and supported the motor again and that is how it sits at this point. Going to try and find me a cherry picker and get that pulled and set on the stand.

"of course it will hold!, I welded it!"

1977 c10 under knife for full rebuild, 5.3l 4l60e drive rain swap, replacement frame and green repaint
hotrod_991 is offline   Reply With Quote