View Single Post
Old 10-19-2023, 11:17 AM   #13
1project2many

Re: Gear noise got ya down?

Quote:
I wonder if 1project2many still has that truck?
I still have the truck. It still has the original transmission with the modified shifter. I had it out on the highway doing 80+ last weekend. My son has asked if he can have it when I'm done with it so I am hopeful I can keep it in good condition for several more years.

Some day I hope to get back to the NVG4500 swap I started in the mid '90s. I modified a stock bell housing and transmission case to bolt together and I made a sleeve to center the 4500 input shaft bearing retainer in the bell housing. I have a combination of Dodge and GM internals and externals because Dodge used a speedometer cable on some models and GM used an electronic speed sensor. The shifter is located closer to the seat so I will need to get a new shift cover. At this point I think the four speed repro floor mat will be the hardest thing to find.

One other transmission related tip I would add for the original 4 speed is that some of these transmissions have no input shaft seal and the transmission can leak oil out the input shaft. It shouldn't happen, but mine has oiled the clutch disc a number of times. Novak Adapters is able to machine an original input shaft to work with their input bearing retainer so a seal can be installed. Total price is currently about $200 but you have to supply the input shaft.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote