View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
lyrikz
PITbut

Re: Swapping Straight 6 (I6) to newer style 350 or 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by grancuda View Post
My daily driver I6 is just about done, I put 35,000 miles on it in the past year and a half and it is very sick so I need to start gathering parts for swapping to a V8. I am searching craigslist and salvages for low mileage, good running long blocks and I am either going with a TBI based 350(running a carb), a Vortec 350(running a carb) or a '96 454 Vortec(running a carb).

The thing I am most uncertain about swapping is the motor mount arrangement, do I keep the current frame mount but move it forward and what style motor mount is best with headers.

Do each of the motors above have provisions for the clutch Z-bar(bell crank) in the side of the block and do each have provisions for a Pilot bushing and if so is it just the stock pilot bushing or a special one for running an old Saginaw 3 speed behind a newer motor

Is there a way I can mount my alternator on the drivers side down low since that is where the factory wiring is now, I have no power steering or air so hopefully there is something I can do there.
I kinda JUST went through this. I put in a 454. I just purchased after market mount kit for 100 bucks and mounted them on the forward bolt holes. Everything clears beautifully. As for the transmission, id just pick up a th350 or 400.. I have heard you can run the saginaw (which i had) but i couldnt find info on how to...

As for the alternator, im sure you can find someway to run it where you want to run it.. I know on the driver side of my motor the PS pump is there... But im sure you can figure some way to move the alt over there.. Or just spend a few mins and extend the wires... If you go to my build thread you will see the mounts i used and where i put them...
lyrikz is offline   Reply With Quote