View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #24
treveiger

Re: 69 Chevy C20 HO52 full floating rear end drum brake removal/installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth67 View Post
Hello,

This is a very nice write up, I just did this process about 1 month ago. Couple of questions:
-->I'm assuming you had to separate the hub from the drums to have them turned. How out of spec were the drums? One of mine was 1/4'' larger in diameter than the nominal.
-->What fluid did you use to fill the rear diff to make up for what was lost during the job?
--> What do you mean when you say "Take note that the E-Brake components are gone, my E-Brake was stuck and worthless so I just decided to toss it..." From the picture it looked like every thing was in place. What did you toss?

Thanks!
I asked my machine shop and he said not to separate them he'll just do it with them together. As far as wear on them in not sure. He just said they were in good shape.

A trick I did was jack up the side that your working on a little higher then the other side to reduce the amount lost and repeat on the other side. I use only Ams Oil in my toys and I'm pretty sure its the severe gear 75w-90.

I got rid of the cable(kinda hard too see unless you see it in person) on the outside of the back plate of the drum. I'm sure soon I'll probably redo the ebrake but as for now it works fine.