View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: The Official John Lee Jr Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhc41051 View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to put Old John Lee out to pasture. There's a lot of parts available to put him back together. These trucks are like potato chips You can't have just one!
I hear ya and it was a very difficult decision. I poured my heart into Ol John Lee and he carried me safe and reliable everywhere. But, Ol John Lee is on Salvage title now...no way to avoid that w/o more lawer time than the value of the truck and my limited budget allowed. As such, on a salvage/rebuild title he is uninsurable with my company. At $5200 (14 hrs frame time + labor + parts) rebuild is not a financially responsible decision for a truck that can't be insured nor gaurenteed to be placed in safe working order. The left frame is torn, face deflected 1" in, buckled down 3" and in 2". The right frame is buckled out 1.5" and up 2". Left spindle cracked, left upper control arm and shaft is bent/deflected, not counting all the sheetmetal damage on the front and left.

I think the best resurection of Ol John Lee is passing along opportunity for other safer and more suitable trucks to be repaired and/or upgraded. Currently, he's an organ doner for two trucks...both 1965 SBSSs. Cab may go to a 64 LBSS. Bed may go to a 64 SBFS conversion. Windshield and lights may go out to a 64 SBFS. Its quite possible that many guys and gals can make positive inroads with their best friends...an that in my mind changes the destruction of Ol John Lee from unnecessary tragedy to blessing.

Last edited by Sharps40; 06-28-2014 at 05:58 PM.