View Single Post
Old 04-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #25
lando713

Re: Need help with Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
So.... Glad to see you opted for the 10" wheels w/5" back spacing. It may be more for the wheels, but I bet it's less overall vs. swapping/narrowing the rear end or widening the bed (plus it WILL look better vs widening the bed).

That being said, you indicate you already have 26x8x15 MT radials on the front 8" wheels. 8" tire divided by 9" wheel (8" wheel = 9" overall width @ the beads) = .88" of rubber per inch of wheel width.

Your proposed rear size is 26x12x16. Those tires would yield 12" tire divided by 11" wheel = 1.2" of rubber per inch of wheel width or 73% difference. That calculation indicates your front tire sidewall will be s t r e t c h e d out slightly & the rear sidewall will be pinched (if you compare them).

Now, about that highlighted statement above..... The Pro-Street look is "bigs & littles". The rears should be taller. I like keeping them close to OE sizing (or taller if you must) otherwise the wheel well opening starts appearing HUGE visually.

A better choice based on your targeted look would be 28x12x15 if you had to be able to tell your buddies "yeah.... it has 12" wide rubber on the rear".
Visually, a 28x10x15 would still be as wide as the rear wheel & better match the front proportionally as viewed from the sidewalls.

Something to consider if a visual detail like this means something to you.....
Thanks for breaking all that down for me, I really appreciate it. The 28X12X15 was an original option believe it or not but I was wanting to make sure I didn't have to do any other modifications for them to fit. But this is exactly why I asked so I could get all the information I need and get the proper fitment. So, with the correct backspacing the 28's should fit no problem right?

And according to Jegs the reason I went with a 12 inch wide tire is because it has the "recommended" wheel widths listed there
lando713 is offline   Reply With Quote