View Single Post
Old 10-08-2023, 04:10 AM   #2175
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

Saturday morning I was out earlier than normal, as we had a BBQ invitation to friends an hour from here for 2.00pm.

Lazy jobs to do, so I started with checking out the radio in the Van.

Still not able to figure the balance control on this rocket ship,radio.

So unable to test the speakers in the rear doors.

But I did find this………

Anyone need it?

Next up, refitted the rear door retaining strap that @glenanderson had fished out.

Two handed job for sure.

Fitted though.

While out back, I did an asses,ent of the threshold, not too nice.

So a bit of paint repairing will happen .

I also measured the open section and went to order a 5 meter length of 150mm or 6 inch wide, anti-slip tape to put on the edge.

Whoever the genius put the bit on there before, clearly never loaded a van.

I will apply it o the edge and possibly fold it over the edge a bit.

At £9.00 delivered it seems a good investment or added peace of mind in preventative maintenance.

While I was on that job, I looked at the second door (opens after the first one) on the left, it is missing a trip strip of some sort

Does the van doors come with a protective strip?

Or do I have to make one up?

Answers please.

Then back to the floor……..

The rear retaining g strip for the carpeting has missed a few screws since day one, so I thought removing and replacing them all makes sense.

They are screwed through the floor.

Some came out easy……

Some needed a bit of persuading, and rather than force them, a gentle tape, followed by a more persuasive tap on a Phillips screwdriver made the rust break and then allowed me to get them out.

This really does help, as having the head break off meant that replacing the screws with fresh ones would be a ball ache for sure.

I had very short replacements , but lucky for me, neighbour Tony at no1 house who does my boiler servicing and electrical maintenance, had some in his garage.

Longer than I need, but a swift cut with a grinder will see that sorted.

Once I have prepared all the holes with some rust preventative, and cleaned the edge strop, I will refit the strip with new screws.

That should make a difference too.

At this point, I had to walk away to go shower and shave for the afternoon out.

But even small jobs need doing.

So a good day again.

I need to go shower and then pack a small bag…….

Remember Bill who did the logistics for the Rezin Rockit?

He called me on Friday, offering to come down from Scotland for a few days to help me with anything random that needs doing here.

He is a fireman, so has extended shifts on and off work.

Currently dog-sitting, he wanted to bring his dog along, but of course George would not be happy.

So I declined his offer of helping me with servicing the Astro, and sorting the sound system out.

450 miles is a long way to drive to randomly help someone (of course he gains time away as a break too)

So last night I impulsively called him at 9.30pm and asked if he has a bed for me……..

I have about 10 days vacation time too use before I stop work mid November, and had texted my boss for permission while out at the BBQ.

Anyone near Glasgow? Whitchurch, Shropshire?

Get the kettle going, send me a PM.

Life certainly is good.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote