View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 06:24 PM   #5
ray_mcavoy

Re: fender and door molding hole location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3drburb View Post
This?
^ That's a sketch I drew up back when I redid Dad's 77. We substituted stick-on clips for most of the front fender molding to cut down on the number of holes we had to drill in the new fenders so I didn't include those on the sketch.

If I remember correctly, the original type clips for the front fender molding have 1/4" diameter studs so the holes were probably just a little bit larger to allow for minor adjustments ... somewhere around 5/16" I think. The top edge of the molding lines up with the truck's body line so you can use that as a guide for the height of the holes. I think the studs are centered (top to bottom) on the clips so that'd put the holes about half the width of the molding down from the body line.

Note that holes A, B, C, and D are for the self threading sheetmetal screws that go through holes pre-punched in the molding. So these holes are fairly small (measure the screws to check the size). Also, the holes go through the accent stripe portion of the molding so they're slightly offset, not centered top to bottom.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote