View Single Post
Old 07-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
WheelinDixie

Re: 12 bolt axle seal question

This might help someone else

So in there rears the axle bearing has no inner race. If your bearings went bad it would score the axle shaft because of the no inner race thing. instead of having to buy new axle shafts they came up with this kit to move the bearing outward a bit and change the location of where the bearing rode on the axle shaft. you basically tap the bearing and housing in the end of the axle tube where the original bearing would be.

old bearing repair kit installed in the axle tube without the seal

this is the right side that is still good with the seal still in

the way to remove them (thanks Wendell) is to take the shafts out and run a rod through the axle housing and tap it out from the back. I didnt have a rod or piece of pipe so..well, you know the rods you can pound in the ground to hold up a birdfeeder or windchimes? with the squiggly ends on it to hang the stuff off of? well I cut the squiggleys off and the base and used that. I dont really like birds or windchimes.

put it through from the right side and hit it a few times to release the brearin repair kit

you can see it about 1/2 way out here

here it is

end of axle tube without it in.

I actually had some 12 bolt shafts at Johns and I swapped one out because the one in this had a broke stud. If I got the other shaft I could go back to regular bearings because the shafts I had are not scored up. since I already ordered the repair kit I will just use it.
WheelinDixie is offline   Reply With Quote