View Single Post
Old 03-15-2022, 03:36 AM   #1636
Grizz1963

Re: GRIZZ’s ‘79 - 2WD BLAZER Challenge over in London, England. “~It’s not a Project

So the thread file was used to tidy up the gear shifter thread, as I had managed to damage it slightly when removing a very tight collar from in and miscalculated my hammer angle.

Fixed now.

Right……

Back to Sunday and the Kitcar Boogie.

You know the one, two steps forward and three steps back.

It had become time to fit and fix the windscreen frame so that ECU,,relays, fuses and wiring loom can be fitted and fixed, as well as heater pipes, controls and then the firewall plate and its embellishments.

But Karma had other plans.

When @nickwheeler had done the pedalbox, actuators etc, it all went together relatively easily, as if he had been dealt a bonus card.

So I cut and prepped the bolts that became the studs to be welded into the Land Rover screen that @glenanderson had donated to the build.

I drilled the holes for a tight fit, cleared all the galvanising away for welding, magnet placed and then Nick tacked them all.

Trial fitting the 5 studs showed one hole needed a 3mm sideways elongation.

No problem, I did that while Nick welded up the studs.

Perfect.

Errrrrmmmmmmm…. Nope. FAIL.

Though we did not know it at this point.

So next step was get the Nyloc nuts in there and tighten it down with a high density foam sealing strip.

HA HA HA HA HAHAHA.

When we assembled the support, I will take the blame here, the angle was welded in the wrong way around, and despite drilling, noticing it all, I had forgotten.

Look closely at my KING SIZED COCK-UP.

Can you see the problem yet?

Yes, no way a nut and socket will be going in there.

Space is tight, very tight.

So a variety of options were considered, including a tungsten carbide bit to whittle away 25mm of each holes obstruction.

In the end I drove to Aghabridge and saw this display when I got there.

Explaining my dilemma through the medium of a few photos, Karma smiled and an engineer found me some 15mm pipe with 11mm inner diameter hole, cut me some and sent me on my way.

FOR THE TOTAL PRICE OF FREE.

From there I went to get some replacement M10 bolts and extras for the firewall work that still has to follow.

Hopefully this will come together on Friday when I have a day vacation.

More to come.
Grizz1963 is online now   Reply With Quote