View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
Bigboy4613

Re: Questions about primers, prep and such, for parts

This might help i was lucky eenough to find a 64 c10 with original paint on the entire truck. When i stripped the bed sides i used a 3m paint buster pad on my buffer that uses 8" stick on discs, i used 40 grit 1st removing 90% of the paint and primer and finished with 80 grit leaving clean shiny metal. Being that bare steel "ferrous metal" starts to flash rust immediately in high humidity i sprayed a water based pre cleaner and went over 2x2 section with a wet red scotchbrite pad drying it immediately and when i had 1 bedside clean i sprayed a good coat of self etching primer on it and waited for it to flash off i then sprayed 3 coats of a good 2k urethane primer. Now that metal is sealed and no longer subject to rust. Now to my tailgate, it took a couple of nights to strip the tailgate because of its shape and lettering and spots where the paint had been scatched to the bare metal and surface rusted i used the metal prep and epoxy on it. The reason for that was because of the shape of the tailgate i couldn't get the metal clean and pristine like i could the bedsides because i had to use a comibination of aircraft paint remover and abrasives to get the paint off. I used ppg one choice metal cleaner and metal coditioner which is to different products and then i sprayed a few coats of epoxy primer on it and i am confident i have a great base for my paint job.
Bigboy4613 is offline   Reply With Quote