View Single Post
Old 03-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Questions about primers, prep and such, for parts

Great info., thank you. Sounds like a red "scotch-bright" pad is a good final metal prep, before cleaning (i.e., wax & grease remover) and conditioning (i.e., metal prep). Sorry about the confusion in the OP, I wrote "scotch guard"......YIKES!

If I'm reading you guys right, the process is:

1. Wax and grease remover (i.e., metal cleaner). You can use this prior to sanding, priming or painting. In other terms, I could: Sand/scotch pad....then wax grease remover, using a cloth to wipe it off (i.e., no water)....then metal prep & epoxy primer or self-etching primer.

2. If self etching primer: Apply, flash and then apply high build primer (e.g., urethane 2k primer) or paint.

3. If epoxy primer: Metal prep then epoxy primer. If I understand correctly, the epoxy has to dry before the next coat, but if it sits say 24 hours or so, then you need to scuff it up.

4. Phosphoric acid: Never use two chemicals with phosphoric acid, such as metal prep followed by self-etching primer.

5. One last question, (we can only hope).
I believe I've read you can leave epoxy primer without a top coat. In other terms, it provides the metal a good barrier from water vapor. If using self-etching primer following by high-build primer, you need to top coat relatively quickly, because it doesn't provide that barrier, or rather, it's a temporary barrier pending paint?????????????????????????
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote