View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 11:34 AM   #32
ItWillBeSlow

Re: Roof patch causing warp / oil canning

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
I don’t think anyone is better at this than Robert and what he is telling you is 100% correct. In your situation and neither one of us having the skills that Robert has I still think metal bond is the way to go. I don’t think it matters whether it’s a round hole or a square hole just keep it to a minimum, if you use C clamps to hold your backer in place just don’t make them so tight you squeeze all of the adhesive out and then do the same with the patch it should equal out. The one thing I believe in 100% is to use a polyester high build like slick sand which has zero shrinkage as opposed to a 2K primer which will minimize if not completely stop any ghosting
Thanks for the response and I do agree the more I learn. As stated earlier by someone else, if a small ghost line in this area is my worst issue here, I will consider this more than successful.

When I think about the best way to do this, I believe it would be best to space the backer to allow the metal bond some room to fill and not completely squeeze out. I made a diagram of this below.

Please keep the comments and experience coming, I plan to tackle this within the next week or so and would like to iron out a couple of these details. I think the backer strips will be about 1/3" thick to properly attach the roof panel and provide a lip for the patch. If there are other thoughts please share.
Attached Images