View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #64
AJs72K5

Re: AJs 72 Pavement Pounder build

UPDATE 10/11/08: The 241 hangs fairly low in it's factory factory location, so I wanted to gain some clearance back. So, I ordered up a 241 clocking ring from Kert @ DIY4X.

I didn't want to clock the 241 completely flat since I still wanted to run my exhaust above the tcase. So I went with the first hole past stock. Here's where the case sat stock:

The install was super easy. Took me an hour total to take the case down, prep the surfaces, bolt up the ring, and rehang the case. Ended up with nice clearance. The bottom of the case is even with the bottom of the crossmember.

Went to install my front shaft and ran into problems. When the case is clocked up, the front output rotates further into the passenger side. After about an hour of grinding and beating on my collector flange, I managed to get the shaft in, with less than 1/16" of clearance.

I decided that just wasn't going to work well, so I ended up taking out the clocking ring.

BUT, when that was done, so was the truck. I finally got to drive it. The 700r4 shifts smoooooooth, and the overdrive is nice on the highway.

The whole reason for the compressed build was to get the truck ready for the 4WP October sale and Show n Shine event today. The truck took 1st place for Best Mods (paint, suspension, engine). Here's the poser trophy shot:

For everyone who's been asking about me flexing the truck some and getting it into the rocks...here ya go:

The Ruffstuff diff covers were awesome. Especially since I hung up the front diff on the last rock coming out.

I have a couple of small bugs to work out. I need to rotate my rear axle up to correct the pinion angle for the CV shaft...it's got some driveline vibes, and one of the outer axle seals on the front D44 decided to start leaking. But with the magnitude of the tranny build, I'm happy with how small the bugs are and how everything turned out.

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff

Last edited by AJs72K5; 11-16-2009 at 05:51 PM.
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote