View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #181
BMERDOC

Re: My caster mod (with pictures)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gmcc10 View Post
I spoke with an old hot rodder/racer about this the other day about this and he said the uppers see so much force under breaking that it would probably shift. My uncle was a front end mechanic for chevy for 30 years. I told him what I was doing and the upper arm shaft idea and he suggested to fine tune the uppers he would unbolt the shaft from the studs and twist it. He said he used to do it all the time and each turn on the shaft is just under 1/4" forward or backwards off the top of his head.
Was he referring to twisting the upper shaft in the end caps? It would kinda make sense. While installing them you want the caps to go on equally and tighten them down from there. The only problem with this is that you wouldn't want to have the the shaft improperly engaged in one cap (front in this case). I will agree that it is worth a closer look. Im not so sure the shafts would shift if properly torqued but his idea is free and machining isn't. The front suspension on my truck is disassembled at the moment and I was just about to order new u-bolts to reassemble it so it I do think its a good time to investigate the possibilities. Its been a while since I've even thought about this whole thing.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote