View Single Post
Old 11-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #113
68 short step

Re: project BIG RED (gen3 on air)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-mpl View Post
Hey Don, great work.. I have fallowed, and copied your other gen 3 threads. I have a couple questions for ya... I was wondering how much you cut off of the headers before you put the V bands on and if you cut it at an angle. I just got the RH side on and it seems to turn towards the frame quite abit..

Also, I am using a 2007 5.3L and I was wondering about a couple of electrical things.. I rewired it myself, it was fun and I hope it works... Anyways, the truck is equipped with voltage control dohickie that goes around the battery cable. Looking at the wiring diagram the BCM controls it. I don't have a BCM, just the PCM and TCM.. The 6.2L you are using in HULK should have the same setup-------What is your idea to get around this... Are you going to use an older alt..

And, I was hoping to keep the truck as modern inside as outside. I wanted to get the gauges to communicate on the CAN network.. The engine has all the sensors on it already and I did not want to run raduntant sensors just to run some gauges... Do you know of any gauges that will comm. on the CAN network to talk to the PCM and TCM that you can get in a package/set... I saw some on Mast Motorsports site and that is extactly what I want. I have tried contacting them and really got nowhere and don't have much info on them... Do you have any ideas on that aswell.
Thanx man.. sorry for the long questions..
Trevor
them are some great questions, on the headers i do cut them at an angle, about 1.25" from the O2 bung.. (you dont want the flange to be closer then about 3/4" from the bung, this could lead to O2 codes)...

on the voltage do-hicky that goes around the bat. cable, ive made harness that ive elimanated it completely....what it does is see how much of a load you're pulling then tells the alt. to put out more/less pending on the required load...
how you elimanate is,go directly from your ECM pinout 'generator turn on sig.' (brown wire) go to pin 1 of the alt. and the grey wire 'generator field duty sig' goes to pin 2 of the alt.. what computer do you have, the e38 or e40?

unfortunally on the guages, ive also look into just that...guages that communicate on the CAN, and i couldnt find any except MMS, but i dont like their styleing...also i think you have to run thier m90 controller for their guages too (but im not for sure on that tho)...also 'stack' guages maybe able/willing to build you what you're after, but i guarentee you're gonna spend a few $$$...the only advice i have to offer on the guages, is find a style you like, then let the fun begin (make them work)

Last edited by 68 short step; 11-12-2009 at 08:12 PM.
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote