Thread: gas leak?
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 10:04 PM   #16
vtwinsport

Re: gas leak?

Thanks DM, I'll look into that.
another update;
couldn't fine tune the engine with my experience so took it the shop.

Tech moved the initial timing to 12 btdc ( i was as at 8). he hooked up my dist vacuum to the ported side and and adjusted my vac advance. This smoothed out my idle to 1800 rpm operation. He left the light springs on the mechanical advance (msd kit). Also found out my trans kickdown cable was being constricted by the edelbrock intake, 1 " phenolic spacer and carb setup. The kickdown is binding and a bit short limiting full throttle.
Looks like I may need a Lokar kickdown cable and a custom bracket to hold it. The Edelbrock throttle bracket is too low to the intake for the phenolic riser and carb causing some binding too. I was told Lokar will solve this. Need to look online.
FYI- for shadetree guys.

Lastly, I am using oil through the valve seals. I see whitish smoke with a hint of blue when its cold (32 F/ 0 C) in the mornings and no blue smoke. I can't believe this rebuilt would have seals crap out so quickly. I may just leap to Trick Flow heads now.

76 Silverado, 2wd, long box, 350/th350, 3.42 posi, edelbrock performer 64cc heads, edelbrock 1405, 2101 intake, Hedman Headers, Comp Cam XE262
http://beerbreadbike.wordpress.com/

Last edited by vtwinsport; 05-15-2009 at 10:05 PM.
vtwinsport is offline   Reply With Quote