View Single Post
Old 07-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #62
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Re: Jim's 1969 Custom/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollybib View Post
IGNITION, FUEL, & CARBURETOR (Part 2 of 3)

I removed the air horn and found that the floats were way out of adjustment but they did not appear to be leaking. The accelerator pump assembly looked worn but there was no apparent damage. I cleaned a little and adjusted the floats, then reassembled. I noticed a bit of improvement in both acceleration and stalling behaviour (placebo effect maybe) so I decided to move on and rebuild the whole feelthy mess.

To familiarize myself with all the parts, I spent some time reviewing exploded parts diagrams and pics I found online. I made up a clean place to work with a lot of space to keep all the parts in order. I took a shi†load of pics during disassembly for future reference. I decided to use lacquer thinner to clean the parts so I bought a gallon along with a few aluminum baking pans to wash the parts in.

The disassembly was straightforward and required only a basic torx set, screwdrivers, and something to handle the tiny spring clip retainers. I did the air horn first; disassemble, clean, and reassemble. The screen at the farthest bowl inlet had captured a lot of particulate matter.

Then I did the main body. Doing it one section at a time like this kept the number of loose parts more manageable. I found a lot of debris in the bottom of the bowls. Once dry, I brushed out a large part of Utah (sandy particles, see pic below). The pump check ball was stuck in the bore but came out with a few taps on the bottom of the carb (hmm).

As I removed the parts, I placed them on my table in their relative positions so I would’t go crazy trying to put it back together later. I used two cleaning baths, one to wash most of the crud off, and another, cleaner one for a second cleaning and then blowing out of the internal passages. I used a toothbrush and a set of small tube brushes to clean in around and through. I washed out an awful lot of dark brown stuff.

I saw your post in my 9906 refurb edelbrock thread and came here like you suggested.

How much $ did you spend on parts to do the rebuild?

Thanks,
Robert

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035