View Single Post
Old 11-02-2022, 03:21 PM   #21
1957Napcofan

Re: 1955-59 Chevy 4x4 Power steering problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
Have you played with tire pressure? It can make a huge difference in some vehicles. So can the tires themselves, all season type tread is more stable at speed than winter compounds and M+S tread patterns

If you have any easy way to get a couple inches lower on that link end try it and see. If it is not so easy I'd probably do some figuring with a full size drawing before starting any major work. Cardboard is cheaper than welding

Compress the spring to bump stop and measure how much the axle moves forward vs ride height and then how much it moves rearward with unloaded spring.
Break out a large piece of carboard and draw all the pivot points and arcs to scale, try and find a length and angle for the drag link that lets it match the movement of the axle for straight ahead driving.

there are lots of other opinions and experiences on this site
Have crap tires on it now till it gets sorted. Run BFG K02's on every truck I've
owned. We get serious snow here, all season tires wouldn't cut it. Have
Michelin Cross Climate 2 all seasons on my Crosstrek, those are great tires
even though there all season. Rated for extreme snow but have a 60K warranty. Have a "V" pattern like a tractor tire. I enjoy driving by BMW's
and MBZ's that are stuck in the snow when the flatlanders come up with
there stupid cable chains. Thanksgiving 2019 we got 42", super fun
Attached Images

1957Napcofan is offline   Reply With Quote