View Single Post
Old 10-11-2021, 12:10 AM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Disappointed in my gear ratio choice.

In my C10 I have a pretty close to 475hp 383 LT1 gen 1.5 or 2 depending on whom you ask backed by a TH700 with a 2500 rpm stall converter, and 30x9.5x15 tires.

I just had 4.88 gears, and a Detroit locker installed. To be honest I have been disappointed in my choice this weekend. Driving it around is fine. A little hard core, but not bad.

The problem is going for distance. I can start a burn out, but carrying it for distance my engine doesn't rpm hard enough.

I know my carb still needs tuning, but with the old 3.42's. It would carry the one tire fire for a easy 150 foot till my truck got out of shape. Now it is hard to get past 50 foot. Alot of that is due to the locker I know. As I have twice the traction to overcome.

Is this a normal issue where deeper gears do not burnout better due to greater need for rpm gain? Where my 383 could push the burn out with a decent amount of torque. It can not rpm hard enough to carry anymore.

I am trying to figure out where I went wrong or where I need to go right to bring my combo back togather. I have gone fairly extreme on the choices with a smogger spec motor as it is what I had. It is a damn fine motor, and I don't want to detract from it's builder. I am trying to come up with a concept of where I need to look. To bring everything back in line.

What makes a engine rpm hard throughout its rev range?
Let's stick with a 350 sbc as it is what I am most familiar with. The power band range I am looking at is 2000 to 6500 rpm. It helps keeps parts cost in check.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote