View Single Post
Old 10-11-2021, 05:42 PM   #12
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Disappointed in my gear ratio choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfranklin View Post
At what road speed do the tires stop spinning? That might just be the top end of the engine that you reach more quickly with the 4.88 gears. So either a higher rear gear or higher revving engine. It might be interesting to just keep a spare axle with the 4.88 and one with a 3.73. I'm assuming you still have the stock 12-bolt.

OR... Can you have a manual shift body installed in your tranny (or go in and adjust automatic shift points)? That might give you a chance to have some fun optimizing shift points for max burnout distance.
I do not know the road speed since I have not adjusted the speedometer gears to match the rear. But my guess is around 35 mph.

The 383 torques well with the 116 lsa on the cam, but I think it rev speed is not up to the gear ratio. It would be deadly with 3.73's, and I would of backed the combo with a th400.

I used the stock 12 bolt. My original plan was for a 14 bolt sf, but the 12 bolt is strong enough when built for my shenanigans. This is probably the point where a brand F 9" would pay dividends.

The trans needs a little tuning, but is really close. The trans guy is stupid busy, and I have been busy too. So dialing it in will take some time to get a spot.

The trans was built for the engine in a 2800 pound car before my most recent bout of insanity. So it is on the short list for replacement, and I will be getting a 4L80E soon to inflict my insanity henceforth onto. So I want to save the TH700 for the car again, and not destroy or modify it. So the 4L80 will be built to survive my needs.

I had decided on replacing the motor when I went with the 4.88's, but I thought with the 383 it would be a go to Jesus combo. Meaning my epic death was in short order, and all while unlocking GTA life points.

Right now I am leaning towards a 302 with AFR 185 heads, Victor Jr intake, and a Holley stealth terminator system to also run the 4L80. I have quite a few parts to start, and a good set of solid roller lifters. I have Dart 205cc aluminum eagles, but they are a touch big. The 302 will be more stable at 3000 rpm cruising in OD, and with the right cam. Combined with the gears I do have. Should be more then adequate for my needs. Plus be a touch easier on the pocket book with gas prices right now.

My outside choice is a 350 LT1 with a narrower LSA cam to rpm a bit harder then what a smog legal 383 would use.

The LS is still in the mix, but I can not piece meal it like I can a SBC. So it's all of the way or non of the way. Which changes options in my mind.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote