View Single Post
Old 07-08-2021, 05:48 PM   #7
raic65

Re: 6L80/6L90 swaps - trans tunnel mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson's Dad 64 C10 View Post
I know, I need to do a build thread… we just dropped our freshened LY6 into our 64 C10 yesterday. Still have a ways to go on the engine, but the Speed Engineering headers are a perfect fit! I’m sitting on a plane, heading to Alaska for work so it will be a few days before I can touch it again. My 12 year old wanted to see some progress, so we just placed the engine with no trans (supported the oil pan with some wood blocks to keep it from twisting back).

I’m contemplating the transmission install and thought I’d throw this one to the forum… I have the 6L90e out of the donor truck, and I’m wondering how best to make it fit. This appears to be a low hump truck, but the “hump” is a crude patch done by a PO. It has some sheet metal booger welded in, with some fiberglass looking stuff on the seams. I’m going to start by cutting that out, but I’m wondering if a repro high hump will work, or if I’m better off looking at something like the trans tunnels that Bowler, Tin Man and others make.

For those of you who have swapped 6L80/90 transmissions, what clearance issues did you experience, and what was your solution? For reference, I’m running No Limit Wide Ride IFS with their trans crossmember (trans crossmember isn’t installed yet). I think the motor mount locations have some impact on where the drivetrain ends up.

Sorry for the novel, they just closed the boarding door so I’ll check back later. Thanks a ton, fellas!

-Chris
I'm running the same setup (LY6/6L90) on my 66 c10. I fabricated adapter plates for the motor mounts that placed the #8 coil within 1/4" of the firewall. I also fabricated my own transmission mount. I set the engine/transmission down at 3 degrees. With that said, my c10 has the factory high hump and the 6L90 clears with plenty of room. In my opinion, if you need to replace the floor, the high hump is all you need. Most of the height in the 6L90 is actually below the input/output shaft centerline IIRC from my research.
raic65 is offline   Reply With Quote