View Single Post
Old 04-04-2021, 11:50 PM   #1
cj847

Speedometer "repair"

After lubing my speedometer cable 3 times and still having noise, I decided that my issue my be in the actual speedometer itself. So, I took it apart. Now that I am done, I see why the noise is generally the cable, there is almost nothing to go wrong inside the speedometer head. I can't say that I know what I am doing here. I just couldn't find any posts with this info when I searched.

I took the speedometer out of the cluster, then removed the needle.

Next I removed the instrument face.

Then removed the odometer.

Then I was to the actual speedometer head

I opened it up and the cup was empty and clean. The shaft and needle are attached to this cup. Note: there is a delicate hairspring that returns the needle to zero, that I did not disturb.

Inside this cup was a magnet that turns to move the needle. The cup basically "floats" above this magnet that is turned by the speedometer cable.

I reassembled the head and put 2-3 drops of 3 in 1 oil in it (although it appears it is not supposed to be lubed based on how clean it was on disassembly). I put the oil in the holes in picture 2 below (ie I could have done it without disassembling the head itself)

After about 30 miles of test driving, my speedometer is quiet. I am not sure if I fixed it, or if I accidentally got the speedo cable in a position that made it happy or what. I do NOT recommend doing this until you are literally about to order a new speedometer.
Attached Images

cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote