View Single Post
Old 12-22-2003, 02:36 PM   #1
superfly68

Unhappy blazer tank install... ON FLEETSIDE steel bed!

ok. i loved the "how to" post byjorgensensc and thought it was very cool of him to do. i got my kit and was raring to go. MY first warning should have been when he welded a 1-1/2" exhaust fitting on the tank and the filler nozzle. i had to buy a 1-3/8" to 1-1/2" for the tank and a 2" to a 1-1/2" to the nozzle. and things got worse from there. The thing i didn't realize is that a fleetside-steel bed and a step side wood bed have many differences. Like the crossmember that he simply upbolted is welded on a steel bed. so i have to "c" notch it out with a plasma cutter. (thanks to a neighbor justin!) Not only that but the holes in the frame rail that match up with the tank also line up the filler neck on the bed support that i just hacked up. SO i had to move the tank as far back as i could and redrill some mounting holes. 3/4" whick is always fun when you don't have a 3/4" steel drill bit. (thanks for the grinder bit justin) Also there is a big difference in the location of the side marker. you have to cut out a corner of the bed and rail to access it. i'll be posting pictures as soon as i finish. Just wanted to give you fleetside steel floor brothers a heads up!
there will be many more details to come in the near future.

down and out for a few days,
superfly68