View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #111
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: OEM Style Rosette SS Rivets

To all on here....I am not an expert in this but have read conflicting reports on using these or even being in posession of them. Some quotes from online:

And a link:
http://www.chevellestuff.com/misc/vin_tampering.htm

Quote:
Possession of the Rosette rivits, other than by the manufacturers or law enforcement is a federal offense.
About a year or two ago the FBI arrested people in northwest Indiana for possession of the Rosette rivits. The possession is a FELONY and these individuals were looking at some major time behind bars in a federal prison.
Quote:
I also have a 80 vette it needed repairs to the windshield frame I deliberatly removed vin rivets, what a big mistake. In my time you could buy the rivets over the counter at any GM dealer. Now it's against the law you can't even buy them through the major catolog dealers. In Michigan if you won't to do it legally you start at the Secretary of State and their red tape. Then they send you to the Michigan State Police and you go through their red tape. If every thing checks out OK the State Police will supervise the installation of the rivets.
Quote:
You must proceed with extreme caution in this endeavor!!!! The legality of some of the suggestions posted could land you in jail. I don't know about other states, but in Illinois, messing with a VIN tag is a serious crime. Even having possession of the roset rivets is a felony offense. If you buy some off of the internet, I can guarantee you they are not factory replacement items, only conventional rivets that have been modified to look like factory ones. I am a police officer and have been to some classes on stolen vehicles and there are some very strict rules governing VIN plates. I have seen modified rivets and a good cop can tell the difference. My suggestion is to contact your state police, inform them of your situation and ask them how to proceed. Make sure you have documentation showing the Vette is yours, and be prepared for a long process. Please don't bubbufy it to try to get it to work, if you get caught, you can end up in jail and lose your prized vette!!!!

Last edited by VA72C10; 01-30-2011 at 04:22 PM.