View Single Post
Old 02-04-2015, 07:11 PM   #33
burnitg

Re: Project Screamer - '72 GMC K2500 + DD 4-53T

It's time to break some eggs...

I am halted on the drivetrain for a while. I am waiting for the output flange for the RT-6610 and the yokes for the NP-205 so I can work on the intermediate drive shaft.

So, I gutted the cab and started cutting. It is amazing how much damage I can inflict in just a few minutes with a reciprocating saw and a die grinder with a cutoff disc.

Three areas had issues. The first two were the "shoulders" of the engine. Detroit Diesels have the cam and balance shaft gears in the rear. The housing to cover these gears creates "shoulders" on both sides of the engine. Here are the cuts that I made to clear them.

Name:  Firewall cuts.jpg
Views: 2329
Size:  82.7 KB

Third, the transmission is much wider and longer than the original transmission, so I had to cut the floor to make room. I had to widen the tunnel by about 4" on the passenger side.

Name:  Transmission Tunnel Cuts.jpg
Views: 2307
Size:  73.3 KB

Here's the cab in the proper position.

Name:  Cab in position.jpg
Views: 2226
Size:  88.4 KB

Here's the transmission clearance. Making a new "hump" to cover it will be a challenge.

Name:  Transmission Clearance.jpg
Views: 2503
Size:  83.5 KB

There are 2 remaining problems that I need to deal with. First is clearance for the buffer switch for the Jacobs Brakes. The switch extends about 2-1/2" beyond the governor to the passenger side. Here is a photo of the governor. The buffer switch replaces the screw that you can see on the left of the governor just below the name plate.

Name:  Buffer Switch Clearance issues.jpg
Views: 2241
Size:  84.1 KB

The other problem is providing clearance for the tachometer drive. It is right of center on the engine at the rear just above the bell housing. I couldn't take a photo, there are just too many things in the way.

I'll keep working on the cab until some parts arrive.

Last edited by burnitg; 02-05-2015 at 04:44 PM.
burnitg is offline   Reply With Quote