View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
SCOTI

Re: A 2-link question-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
So, I just bought a 78 SWB, and have done several 67-72's. It will receive a cammed/tuned 5.3/4l60. I like the trailing arm ride and traction/handling advantages. But, I'm cheap, not a lot of dough here, and all of the kits are $$$$.

That has lead me to thinking. I intend to put the gas tank in the rear, which means nice, smooth rails all the way up under the cab. What If I took stock 67-72 trailing arm geometry, took the stock 78 forward spring hangers and flipped them, used basically a flip kit to mount the arms underneath (or just flipped the saddle over, or made saddles 67-72 style, only straight) and then adjusted for pinion angle. Make a bracket for the spring and a crossmember to reinforce at that point. Long travel shocks and a long panhard out back of the rear, a'la the No Limit kit.
3rd Gen WS6 swaybar somewhere in the mix. Wha-la, basically the same thing as a 67-72 setup, only outboard. I've been a fabricator for a long time, making the parts isn't a problem.

Anybody see anything glaringly wrong with this?
I'm trying to picture what you're describing... Which 'link' style is your intent (leaf-spring or the T/A)?

Are you suggesting relocating the front leaf hangers inboard of the rails, using 67-72 T/A's as the suspension links/arms, & making a spring x-member to locate the coils @ the upper position?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote